smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Sunday, August 01, 2010

We have red mite in the hen houses. Yeuchhhhhh!!!! These are tiny mites that are white, almost translucent and measure less than half a millimetre across. When they have just fed on your hen's blood at night, they are bright red - hence the name. They breed at a speed that is unbelievable. When you put your hand in to collect the eggs your arm comes out covered in the things. Try picking off something that is almost too small to see... I am itching just typing about them. We have dusted the hens with red mite powder and are in the middle of pressure washing the houses, scrubbing them out with Jeyes fluid and doing what we can. Poor hens!

Seems to be a lot of red mites about. Must be a good year for them. The horrible things can live in the ground for 35-40 weeks without feeding. Bleuccchh!!!!

4 Comments:

  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    I used to breed New Zealand White rabbits for the freezer and was always concerned that no nasties should get into their brick built house as they were kept in cages and weren't able to get away from anything that irritated them. I used to wash out the house once a week and let the rabbits out into the hen run once a month while I used Jeyes Fluid on the walls and floor.
    Horticultural red mite can be killed stone dead with bordinary garden bug spray - it might work on your white 'red' mites too.

     
  • At 3:33 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    I've done some research and Poultryshield, red mite powder (probably mainly diatomaceous earth) and Jeyes fluid are the things most commonly mentioned by people that keep hens. But I shall remember your tip - thanks for that. We had a small infestation three summers back and Jeyes fluid and powder saw them off. I hate red mites!!!

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger cottonreel said…

    Hi Jo, I,m cottonreel . you left word on my blog wanting information on making a cottage quilt ,
    I have 2 on my blog
    13-5-09 a completed quilt

    21-3-09 one of these will show a quilt in stages

    apart from this start with your sqs , any size square , join them into a block
    4 sqs x 4 sqs
    or 6 sqs by 8 sqs
    it really doesn,t matter . you will need enough blocks to make the size you fancy
    When you have made all your blocks . get in touch with me for the next step.

    I live in a village in the east midlands. I,m always willing to show how to make a quilt--cottonreel

     
  • At 6:05 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    Hi cottonreel
    Thanks for dropping by. I'm not quite ready to make a quilt yet but I'm "exploring and learning". I've been gathering a stash of materialfor a while but I'm not there yet. I'd already looked at your finished quilts and it is the mention of "quilt as you go" that I found intriguing. I've done lots of cushion covers (both pieced and quilted pictures - all as presents) but nothing bigger as of yet. I just wondered if you might put post either a "how to" or some links to a sensible "how to" on other sites. I'm quite sure I'm not the only one with questions!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home