smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

I filled my washing line yesterday and it all dried beautifully. Some of it was washed by hand and some by machine but even the wetter handwashed things dried. I love not having the house draped with half dried washing. I often wonder how they (the wives and mothers) managed 100-200 years ago when housework followed a set pattern each week and the clothes were washed on a set day each week: one day for treating stains, one for washing, one for starching and ironing, one for baking etc etc. There was no leeway for the weather so whatever did they do with all the wet washing if it rained?

My husband's asthma has played up dreadfully this week and he could hardly talk on Thursday and Friday - a bit of a problem for a teacher! He has been better yesterday and today because he has not been at work. He's been marking exam papers all weekend though so he is not exactly relaxing. You can tell he feels bad because he took very little nagging to agree to get in touch with the doctor to see about changing his medication.

The hens seem to be laying lots of eggs on the warmer days and fewer on the colder, damp days. One day this week I had 3 dozen eggs sitting on the side on the kitchen. Several of my regular customers at work had gone on a field trip with the pupils Mon-Fri and so my eggs were building up alarmingly. Fortunately another customer rang up and wanted 2 dozen extra because she had lots of baking to do for a family event. Phew! The backlog of eggs is now back to manageable proportions. I couldn't normally provide 2 dozen extra but I could this week as the other customers were away. Isn't it funny how well things work out sometimes : )

We have two teacher days on Mon and Tues. There are a couple of staff meetings but I'm looking forward to catching up on lots of jobs that I've been putting off and doing lots of admin uninterrupted. That'll be a treat!

4 Comments:

  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hello hun..........haven't heard from you in a while. I have a wash day....Saturday! In the winter, I'm lucky if it's dry by sunday night after stoking up the wood burner in the lounge and I know it's really chavvy but dry my smalls in front of the fire in the winter.We're warm and toasty and my clothes are clean and dry. I love drying them outside though! those chooks of yours are doing well. Frooogs xxxxxxxx

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger Michelle H. said…

    So sorry for your husband - that must be miserable. Is it caused by allergies? My husband and youngest daughter also have asthma but it's not as bad now as when they were younger.
    I've been hanging my wash out too - it's been plenty hot and dry here last few weeks.
    Blessings!

     
  • At 1:17 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    When you handwash you could use your washing machine just to spin them and then they will line dry much quicker.
    My husband has voice problems as a result of his asthma/allergy combo - I feel for him but on the other hand at least he can't shout at the soccer on TV :O)

     
  • At 3:42 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    My husband's asthma didn't really start until he had turned 30 and is slowly getting worse. If he had started when he was young then the chances are that it would improve as he got older. Just one of those things... He is much better when he is outside of the city which is one of the things that started us on the smallholderwannabe route.

    My washer had a short spin programme which takes over 10 minutes so I don't like to use it if I can help it. My old washer had a programme that took 2 minutes in total and was great for just taking the weight of water out of handwashed stuff like woollies without them being in there long enough to be pulled out of shape.

    With all the rain we had yesterday, I'm glad I got the washing done on Saturday!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home