smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

I saw my grandson this morning. He is 10 months old now. He can stand and balance without holding on to anything but has not taken the plunge and walked without holding on. It won't be long until he is off and away. He has a new party trick - he can blow kisses and make a smacking sound and I can tell you that it is guaranteed to melt a grandmother's heart. Not that it needed melting because I am definitely biased where my grandson is concerned! This will be a good week because I will see him again tomorrow. It is fathers' day so we are going to my daughter's house for tea and the rest of the family will congregate there to see Dad.

My husband's asthma is a bit better and he has today finished a course of high dose steroids and hopefully that will get things back better under control. It helped that we had 2 teacher days this week so he did not have to talk all day for those at least. It felt strange on Wednesday because it was the third day of the working week but the first with the kids so it seemed like Monday but wasn't, if you know what I mean. I got such a lot of work done on Monday and Tuesday when there weren't staff meetings. I felt that I achieved such a lot and planned what I would do each of the rest of the days and sorted it all out - and then a fibre optic switch broke and we had no access to the internet or to any of our files stored on the network...... And of course, everything I had planned meant that I needed access to both the internet and to our network. The best laid plans of mice and men...... and me...... They assure us that it will all be fixed when we go in on Monday.

The hens have not liked the weather this week and their laying reflects the changes in the weather - 13 eggs on one day, then 7 the next and then 10 and back to 7 and 10 again. I sold three boxes on Friday again so there will be enough to pay for some sacks of feed when they are needed. The new hens' eggs are getting a little bigger now and are just "medium" sized eggs instead of micro eggs. They are averaging closer to 55g now whereas the older hens lay eggs that are 70-80g. When I bake a cake, I just weigh the eggs.

With my husband being poorly and the exam marking to be done, we have not got to the allotment. I dread to think how bad the weeds will be. Next weekend, we will be working at school all Saturday so it might well be the following Saturday before we get going on the weeds. At least a lot of the crops are well established now so might withstand a bit of choking by the weeds without succumbing completely. My peashoots at home are doing grand and we have a few in with the lettuce every time we have a salad. I like the taste as well as the cost and convenience and freshness. We'll be doing peashoots most of the year at this rate.

I must go and get to grips with the ironing as with next weekend being busy, I need to get as much ironed as possible so the shirts will last into the following week as far as possible.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger Michelle H. said…

    Oh I agree about the grandbaby melting your heart. We have an 11-month old granddaughter who is the apple of our eye! We have another one due in December. Can't wait to see that one - don't know yet if boy or girl. I read a bumper sticker the other day that said "If I'd know grandchildren were this much fun, I'd have had them first!"
    Blessings!!

     
  • At 6:02 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    : )

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger freerangegirl said…

    Theres always so much to do on a weekend isnt there - I admire your resolve on the ironing! Enjoy the grandbaby. I have two children under 7 but there changing so fast i can barely remember their baby years ( or maybe thats the sleep deprivation!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home