smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

The modem and I have both been poorly this past week and a half. The modem's illness was terminal and it is now in the bin and a new one installed whereas I am perking up nicely. I'm glad such drastic measures were not necessary with me : )


It is exam season now. My husband has been at 5 days of examiner/revisor meetings in the last fortnight so he is about to be snowed under with papers. When I got home from work last night, I almost couldn't get the door open because the postman had stuffed so many envelopes of papers through the door. My husband is going to have to be very organised indeed to cope with everything. He does not usually do this much but with the smallholderwannabe coffers needing to be filled, he did not like to turn away paid work. It is one of those occasions where it is the last year of a particular syllabus and the first year of its replacement.


Having glimpsed behind the scenes a bit more now, I am amazed at just how much effort goes into making sure there are as few mistakes as possible in an exam paper and how many revisions it goes through and how every word and phrase is checked for accessibility of language etc. It is a more costly business to produce an exam paper than I ever imagined.


The hens are laying fewer eggs now that spring is giving way to summer. That basic instinct to lay lots of eggs to keep the species going is waning. That instinct is not actually any use to my hens as I don't have a cockerel - the neighbours would have a fit!!!! The youngest hens are still laying 6 or 7 each day from the 7 of them and they have now passed the age when an egg farmer would have sent them off to the babyfood or the petfood factories. The middle aged ones (7 of them too) are well past the catfood factory age and are now down to 1 or 2 a day with the occasional 0. The pensioners (just 2 of them) haven't laid for years but are still eating their little heads off, subsidised by the eggs that the youngest ones lay. I didn't plan on having so many hens - it just happened, honest, guv, they just fell into the box in the boot of my car at the auction. Next autumn and winter, though, I shall have a high feed bill and not many eggs at all. This spring, I have been salting away my egg money to subsidise their feed for later on.


It is nice to be back in blogland again.


Edit: I tried to publish this yesterday and the day before but Blogger would not let me. They must be having some issues again.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:01 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    Glad to hear that you're feeling a lot better :O)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home