smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

The lamb we had for dinner was absolutely lovely. We really enjoyed it.

A shorter week at school again. I definitely could get used to this... just so long as they pay me for a full week, that is. It is quite cold in school in the mornings at the moment and I just can't justify putting the heating on in May. So I'm wrapped up in layers until lunchtime when the sun gets round to my room and then I'm sweltering the rest of the day. Some people are just never happy unless they have something to complain about : )

My daughter was in B&Q yesterday and found the seed potatoes reduced to 20p a bag and bought me 3 bags. Three different types too. Definitely a bargain! So she had a couple of potatoes to grow in a bag, my friend down the road is popping in after work to have a few and we shall find odd corners/bags for the rest. I have a feeling that we will be well potatoed next year. We had already bought what we wanted and planted them... Still, if needs must, the hens love them. We still have a small box of wrinkled things left from last summer's crop which we are plodding through, although they are getting to the stage when I may give up and let the hens have a feast.

We did very well yesterday for bargains as our son rang up from Tesco and offered to bring me a pile of assorted veg all at 20p or 25p a bag. I succumbed to the thought of asparagus at 50p a bag. My husband won't eat it so the whole bag is mine. Yum! As a treat for me, I planted asparagus at the allotment last spring but not all the plants have survived the winter, which is a real shame. I can have a small helping next spring but it will be the year after before I can really tuck in. The rabbits will be delighted to help with the cabbage bought by my son but I think that stirfry is going to figure largely on the menu for the rest of the week. Quick and easy for instant meals when we get home tired after work and really economical as well. We are blessed with welltrained and thoughtful children! (And every little saving helps to swell the smallholderwannabe coffers.)

2 Comments:

  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Angela said…

    Thanks for dropping by my blog. I take your point about the church tea-towels [our members are SO good, they seem to feel the Pastor&wife are busy enough without doing church laundry duty]

    btw, can thoroughly recommend Indigo Valley as an excellent supplier of coffee facilities for churches!

    weekend blessings x

     
  • At 8:32 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    We've got a coffee shop now as part of our church but I shall make a note of that name for future reference - thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home