smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

And I visited my friends at the farm yesterday too : ) They had triplets born in the early hours and twins too. The triplets look like they may become twins soon because one lamb was a decent size, one was middling and the third was only half the size of the biggest one. The twins were a difficult birth for the ewe and one lamb (the bigger of the two) hurt its leg and is unable to stand yet. Both the poorly lambs were the ones who suckled best when I was trying to get a bottle of colostrum into them so all hope is not lost yet. I really wanted to take the little one home with me and look after it so that it could have a proper chance at life. I can just see senior management's faces if I turned up at school with a lamb to feed every couple of hours : ) The other one needs to be able to stand on all four legs or it won't survive. A lame sheep is just about acceptable but a three-legged one is not. The leg is not broken but is injured in some way and the lamb can't stand on it. It is a beautiful looking lamb too. I wasn't intending to go to the farm this weekend but we had gone out to get hen and rabbit food from the feed merchant which is not far from the farm... They are good people and very patient with me. I woke up very early this morning and dare not go back to sleep because I couldn't remember if we had reset the alarm clock to BST or not. We hadn't so it was just as well I had woken, although it was hard work staying awake. I did some washing yesterday morning and went out into the garden to peg it on the line. And I couldn't believe my eyes - my tree-loving neighbour has had several trees cut down on Friday while we were at work. The part of the garden closest to the house is soooo much lighter. Well, what a delightful surprise! We might even be able to grow some bits of veg here at the house this summer as the sun might be able to reach us. ps Blogger won't let me have paragraphs today, no matter how many times I try.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi Jo,

    What a delight to have some of those trees removed, let there be light xxxx

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger Angela said…

    Oh do take a lamb to school nand fee dit every two hours! It wuld be a delight just to watch the reactions of the SMT!

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Blogger Angela said…

    apologies - mistyped that comment very badly and didn't proofread properly!

    are you in a different time zone in the west midlands - it is claiming that I posted at 9.12am and it is 5.13 here!!

    blessings x

     
  • At 1:31 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    Don't tempt me! I'm feeling quite bolshie at the moment. Actually the lamb that they didn't think would last the night, the tiddler, is doing fine but the one whose leg wouldn't work, is gone.

    Blogger time zones and my clock never agree. I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to do something about it or if I just live with it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home