smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Buttering him up...

One of the yellow stickered items I got at Tesco on Sunday was some cream:  four 300ml tubs of whipping cream at 11p each.  I've never made butter from whipping cream before - only from double cream - but for 44p, I was prepared to give it a go.  I was expecting a much lower yield because the percentage of butterfat is lower, but I was pleasantly surprised.  My husband begged for half a tub of cream for him to have with jam and bread.  I think he was hoping for scones made with the buttermilk but he'll have to wait for those. So I used three and a half tubs to make butter and got 550g which is now divided up into small pats and frozen.  I left one pat out of the freezer and lightly salted it for use now.  I freeze the butter unsalted because it keeps better and then just add a little salt when it is thawed.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home