smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

This is the recipe for courgette and green tomato pickle. Of, course, I haven't actually tasted it yet so I don't know how good it is. I like green toms and courgettes and I love most pickles and chutneys so I'm hoping it is a winner because it uses glut items. Usually I note down where I got a recipe from but I didn't with this one so I can't give credit where it is due. I copied it off a forum a few years back and that is all I can remember. I'm including the author's comments:

While you are in a chutney mood, here's a recipe for a courgette pickle that I devised to use up some of the overgrown courgettes, very good with jacket potatoes and cheese, we ate some straightaway and started a new jar after a month.

2 lbs courgette/marrow peeled and diced
1 lb courgette/marrow skin left on diced
1 lb green toms, could use onions instead, cut into strips
Layer up in a bowl with salt sprinkled on, don't need a lot, leave overnight.
Drain off the liquid that comes out and put veg in a large pan.

Add:
1 pint cider vinegar
1 tabsp crushed coriander seeds
1 teasp each ground ginger and chilli flakes
1 tabsp curry powder
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tabsp sugar
Bring to boil and simmer till cooked and thickened, takes about an hour but didn't go all mushy, put into clean screwtop jars, made 2 big jars.


Back to me again: I used up all the green toms that were a bit damaged and by the time I had chopped them up, there was only 12 ozs so I added two onions and a large cooking apple that needed a bit cut off. I didn't have enough cider vinegar so I used half a pint of white malt vinegar with the other. I didn't use the curry powder because my husband would not have been prepared to try it if I had and I used more sugar because we quite like a sweet pickle. But I used the basic recipe... : ) I was quite surprised that so much courgette shrank to just two large jars. My neighbour called in today and has gone home with a copy of the recipe to help use up some of her courgette mountain.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:36 PM, Blogger Jane said…

    Many thanks for this recipe - I'll be making some soon :O)

     
  • At 12:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I shall try that, the grocers still has marrows for sale and they're cheap

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    If you lived a bit nearer, I'd be giving you lots of marrows : ) Aren't people down your way putting them out with signs saying "free to good home"?

    Seriously, I'm always a bit wary of passing on recipes that I don't know for certain will produce splendid results. We'll all know by Christmas though.

     
  • At 1:45 PM, Blogger freerangegirl said…

    It certainly sounds like a great idea for all that surplus produce - I'll give it a go!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home