smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Monday, September 06, 2010

Rosehip syrup recipe for Jane:

Rosehip syrup Stage 1

1.8 kilos rosehips
2 ltr water.
Mince the washed hips and add to the water in a pan - simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stand for 15 minutes.
Add another 1 ltr water and simmer again for 20 minutes.
Remove the pulp to a bowl, cover and leave overnight.

Stage 2

Put the pulp back into a large pan, add 1.5 ltrs water and bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
Pour the pulp mixture into a jellybag and place over a bowl to drip overnight.

Stage 3

The next day, pour the resulting juice into a heavy pan and put on a low heat.
Add 895g of sugar and stir until dissolved, then boil for 5 minutes.
Strain the syrup, then pour into sterilised bottles.

You can use this as a sauce on puddings, to make a summer drink, or as I do, poured liberally onto plain yogurt.

(From Home Made & at a fraction of the cost - Polly Pinder)

I had this saved on my work computer. I think I got the link from another blog/forum last summer. It is not as faffy as it sounds and the result was very nice. I think I did about a quarter of the quantities because that was the amount of rosehips I got my hands on. And you don't have to deseed the rosehips : ) which is a bonus. My biggest problem was finding enough small jars/bottles to put it in.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    Thank you very much for this recipe - once the wind dies down enough for me to stand without a lean I shall go out and denude our rugosa roses which have massive and luscious fat red hips. I can relate to the 'massive and fat' hips bit :O))

     

Post a Comment

<< Home