smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Sunday, September 05, 2010

The jam saga continues. I went to visit my friend on a farm yesterday so that we could pick some blackberries. I also found a few sloes - yay!!! And some hips and haws and hazelnuts so I feel some hedgerow jelly coming on. I also acquired some windfall apples so I will be making blackberry and apple jam today. Right now, I'm just taking a break from peeling, chopping and removing bad bits from a very large pile of those apples. I have three saucepans beside my chair - one for good bits for the jam, one for bits of nice cores and nice peel for stewing up for some pectin-full liquid although the rabbits will be pleased to eat a bit of that, and the last pan for the bits that are not so nice and will go into the compost.

Back to work. It is a good job I got ahead on the ironing before term started.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:51 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    If you have a tried and tested recipe for either rosehip syrup or jelly I'd be glad if you'd share it please :O)

     
  • At 12:55 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    I haven't made just rosehip jelly before although I've included a few rosehips in other jellies because I had them. I made rosehip syrup for the first time last year and enjoyed that - a spoonful on yoghurt or icecream or with hot water as a drink was very pleasant. I'll see if I can turn up the recipe I used.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home