smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Today is not a good day.

Yesterday, we found woodworm in the little wardrobe that my husband uses. We've had that all our married life and it is sad to see something like that go. It is currently up at the end of the garden awaiting a nasty fate. But we have two more wardrobes in the house so we thought we could just move one up to our room for him to use. Today, my husband ploughed his way through what used to our daughters' bedroom and is now a storeroom - a very full must-keep-it-in-case-we-need-it-for-when-we-move storeroom. After much moving of boxes, he emptied the wardrobe of everything stored inside - and discovered it had woodworm. So he moved more boxes to get to the other wardrobe - and discovered it had woodworm too. It has by now taken all day to get to this stage.

I phoned my son-in-law to see if he could come round and help get the heavy, fullsize wardrobes down the stairs. Bless him, he came round as soon as he had eaten his dinner. Can they get the wardrobes downstairs...? No. Can they get them apart (as in "unscrew") to bring them down in bits...? No! They are currently hammering and bashing them apart as I type. I've checked Freecycle and there is not a wardrobe in sight apart from one which is broken.

Meanwhile, the dishwasher has flooded the kitchen. It is very old and rusty and is held closed by a net curtain wire since the door latch broke but up until now it has not leaked at all. After sorting out the flood, I then went to the fridge to get a carrot for the rabbits' evening meal and as I opened the door, another flood of water poured out and I realised that the drain has blocked up again. So I mopped up again.

The fridge problem is actually pretty easy to sort out but right now, it feels like the last straw. Too many problems for one day. Problem overload!

They have just announced that one wardrobe is in bits in the yard and that is enough for one day. I know the feeling.

The one upside that I can find is that decisions have been made about some of the things that we were keeping and there is now a pile of bags and boxes of Stuff outside waiting to be taken away on Bin Day. I got to find something positive from today!

5 Comments:

  • At 12:03 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    A couple of years ago we found woodworm in the joists of our garage roof and obviously had to get a company in to spray it out. Before they came we scouted the house and moved anything with even a tiny hint of a hole into the garage, and the whole lot got treated for the price of the garage. It's diheartening to see those holes and the wood dust tho and you have my sympathy :O(

     
  • At 4:46 AM, Blogger Living the frugal life in France said…

    Can you not get some treatment for your wardrobes rather than throwing them away??

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    The third wardrobe seems only to have woodworm in one panel so my husband is replacing that this afternoon and then the whole will be treated. The other two were too far gone to be worth it. I'm just worrying now about where else the bugs may have gone ...

    The revamped wardrobe may not end up as the prettiest piece of furniture we own but will be functional. If we can manage to move in the next year or two, I'd rather a) have the money towards the new house or b) have the money to buy some bedroom furniture for the new house. I think b) may be unlikely because our trouble is finding somewhere we can afford.

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You#re right; not a good day. I've furnished my house with bits from the local paper. If I have to resort to buying something, then I get it that way. Does your church have a notice board? You may do some one a service by taking a wardrobe away, they are big pieces of furniture. Sending positive, woodworm free thoughts your way xxx

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger Jo said…

    Thank you : )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home