smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

We had a little disaster last night.  Not huge in the world sense of things but not nice all the same.  Since my neighbours drastically pruned their trees (and they have plans for more drastic pruning - yay!!), my husband made a raised bed in the garden and planted in it some of the seed potatoes that my daughter found for pennies.  The plants were looking lovely and I was looking forward to some nice new potatoes perhaps served with some of the salad leaves that we are growing and maybe something else homegrown.  The plants looked grand yesterday at teatime when I popped out to give the rabbits some greens.  A couple of hours later, when my husband went out to close the hens up for the night, Some Thing has been along and flattened or broken off nearly all the plants.  I really feel quite upset about the damage done and the loss of the crop.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:16 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    It's heartbreaking when plants that you've looked after are devastated. I nurtured 4 squash plants from seed and planted them out with care about 10 days ago - fekin frost has wiped all 4 out. Frost in mid-June, and they talk abut global warming!!! Grrrr :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home