smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Friday, July 16, 2021

This and that

 It has been one of the hottest days of the year today and we have had so much rushing around to do. I would really have liked to find somewhere shady to sit and rest but it was not to be. 

We have bought some new hens to add to our flock and they were delivered today to our friend's farm. Getting the hens together means that we share the delivery cost. They are much younger than they are supposed to be so it will be a couple of months before we get any eggs from them. Supposedly they are 16 weeks old but they look 10 to 12 weeks old to me. Their combs have not grown at all. Still, they will be coming into lay at about the same time as our old girls will be stopping laying for the winter. Some of them may well not lay again in the spring because they will be too old and in my garden, they will enjoy a well earned retirement. so this morning we had to go out to our friend's farm and fetch them home and introduce them to their new house which is all nicely scrubbed and pressure washed and treated with a bat-friendly wood preservative.

On the way back from the farm, we stopped off at Waitrose for me to rush in and collect the new mobile phone I had ordered from John Lewis. My husband parked in the shade under a tree and waited in the carpark for me and kept the windows open so that the hens could have some air flowing through. My old phone is very old and has just about died. It just about can make calls and texts but not much else any more. It has deleted the few programmes I had added to it and has taken to phoning random people on my contacts list all on its own. Definitely time for a new phone! The problem is that there are so many phones for sale and which to choose... I was not about to spend £600 on a phone because I just don't need all the fancy bits that such an expensive phone has. Nor do I want the cheapest because I want it to last a long while. It was a hard choice and I won't know if I made the right one until I have used the phone for a while.

We also had the shopping to do for the church coffee shop today. That always takes a while. Just going to the shop and buying the stuff is not the whole job either as we have to take it back to church and put it in the correct places in the storeroom and make sure it is all stacked in date order. i was very glad to make it back to the house at teatime and put my feet up for a bit.

Dinner was nice tonight as it has been for the last few days. We are now harvesting lots of veg from the allotment and I so enjoy my veg. The courgettes have not gone into overdrive yet but are providing enough for dinner some nights and also for courgette sticks with my lunch. We also had fresh raspberries for pudding. Yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home