smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Saturday, January 16, 2021

DIY liquid hand soap

 I was looking on the internet for something else and came across this article. A happy chance. I decided to give it a go and as a result will not be buying any more liquid hand soap! It is so easy and you make enough to do a long time with just one bar of soap. If you look at the link then please remember that the article is American and their pints are 16 fluid ounces whereas our pints are 20 fluid ounces. The only thing that is more awkward is that when you press the plunger on your recycled liquid soap bottle, you do not get just a dollop on your hand. Instead you have a little trail attached to your dollop which you need to "knock" off the spout of the bottle. It takes a lot longer to say it then it takes to do it and I am now so used to doing it that it has ceased annoying me. Besides, I think of the savings and it is fine : )

The article I happened across is at:

https://originalhomesteading.com/diy-homemade-liquid-hand-soap/


1 bar of hand soap at least 100g- any kind but I used just plain because I wanted to add teatree oil

3 1/4 pints of boiling water (the Americans use half a gallon but this is 3 1/4 British pints)

That is it. Just two ingredients for the basic recipe.


Grate the soap into a large saucepan. Pour over 3 1/4 pints boiling water. Stir until all the soap has dissolved. Cover with a tea towel or piece of newspaper to keep dust out and set aside overnight. The article warned that the mixture can take from 12 to 24 hours to congeal but mine had set to a jelly like consistency within two hours. 

Now is the time to add any extras. I added 2 tablespoons of glycerine and 1 teaspoon of teatree oil to make may soap antibacterial. You can add whatever essential oils you have on hand or just leave it plain.

Mix it well to turn it back to a liquid. I started with a wooden spoon but decided it would be easier to use my hand blender. It took a very short time to turn it into a pleasant smelling liquid which then remains as a liquid. Pour into a container for storage using a funnel. I used a well washed 4 pint milk bottle.

So that is almost 3 1/2 pints of liquid hand soap made from just one bar of soap and some ancient glycerine from the kitchen cupboard and some tea tree oil that I found in the back of the bathroom cupboard. I am finding that the homemade liquid soap makes one bar of soap last a lot longer than usual so it is definitely a winner : )






Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home