smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Monday, February 15, 2021

Jabs and penny pinching

 We got our letters today to say that we can go and have our vaccinations for covid. I am pleased that we have both got them together so that we can use the car once to get both of us done. We went online and looked to see where we can go for the jab and it is miles away. Or we can wait and see where our doctor's surgery sends us more locally. So we will wait a little bit and see what the doctor says. And hide away from people as much as we can.

I haven't been for a walk for a few days so we have seen fewer people than usual recently. I did something to my back the other day and I am having enough trouble getting around the house without trying to walk anywhere. It is a bit easier today so I am hoping that whatever I did is healing now. If I knew what I had done, I would try not to do it again!

I am trying to stretch our food to lengthen the time between visits to the supermarket. My daughter went to Lidl the other day first thing in the morning and brought us round a £1.50 veg tray and also a fruit cake that she had made for us. Lovely! There is not a huge amount on the allotment at the moment and besides I don't want to walk there at the moment. Maybe later in the week I will be able to go and see if the asparagus kale has survived the cold and snow. I do hope so because I have missed it. I really liked the selection of fruit and veg in the Lidl "too good to go" box and it will stretch nicely what we already have in.

Our freezers are quite full and my problem is that I am stretching things too well. Or so my husband tells me. If I get out a pack of mince, for example, by the time I have added oats, grated carrot. onion and maybe a few lentils as well, the one dinner sized pack will probably do three meals. Mince and potato pie, pasties or mince slices, lasagne, burgers, meatloaf, meatballs, cottage pie etc etc. If I am making burgers, meatballs and meatloaf, then I usually add part of a packet of stuffing mix to stretch it. So there is always enough of the burger mix to make a few meatballs to have with pasta and tomato sauce. The meatloaf always makes three dinners. A mince sauce for four portions of lasagne or cottage pie will always have enough for a filling for a pie or slice. So my husband is complaining that if I get out one thing from the freezer, then I am wanting to put more back in. He wants to empty the freezers a bit and I am not succeeding in this. He doesn't object so much if there is something in pastry for him, though, I have noticed : )

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Cherie said…

    I'm stretching everything I take out of the freezer too. I bought a fresh chicken from Aldi's on Thursday and we thoroughly enjoyed a proper roast chicken dinner, Tony had chicken and stuffing sandwiches for work and we had chicken and chips for tea on Friday.it. It's going to make a big pan of chicken and rice tomorrow and then I will boil up the carcass and make stock for soup. We'll be clucking by Tuesday

     

Post a Comment

<< Home