smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Dinner was really tasty tonight.  My husband had left school really promptly and left me to come home later.  He went to the allotment so I wanted to make a meal that would sit and wait happily for a bit.  His mobile battery was nearly gone so I couldn't ring to check more precisely what time he would be home.  It is so useful being able to ring each other free : )

When I checked the fridge, we had several bits of various leftovers in tubs, so I made a stew/soup with the addition of a tin of tomatoes and some tired veg.  It was one of those times when everything melds together into a delicious blend of flavours and textures and you are glad to be eating it.  That doesn't always happen when you (I...) make a concoction with leftovers.  And there is about one and a half bowls left so if I stretch it a little bit more tonight, then that will be two dinners made from some (unplanned) leftovers and about 60p worth of tinned tomatoes and extra veg : )  Maybe some dumplings (Jamaican dumplings, the fat free ones) and some Herman bread....

I also made a cake and some bread type thing.  I'd been given a Herman - a German sourdough cake starter and had made it a couple of times but now I've run out of people to pass starters on to.  My Herman had been fed several times and was enormous.  I made a 1.5 times Herman in my biggest roasting tin and have brought lots into school today.  Cake at breaktime always goes down well.  As it is a sourdough mix, I also decided to try some bread because we are out.  Even the freezer has not yielded more than a couple of slices in a bag.  Usually I make some soda farls in the frying pan when we are out but the oven was going to be on for the cake and I had so much Herman.  The starter was quite runny so I just put some flour in a bowl, stirred in enough Herman to make a dough and then kneaded it and left it to rise.  We had some for breakfast and it was really nice, if a little yeasty because there was so much Herman in there.  I reckon it will make lovely toast tomorrow.  Next time I am overrun with Herman, I shall use some liquid and less Herman to make bread.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home