This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

I'm still at home - much better now but not a bundle of energy yet. Yesterday was the last day of my week before I need a doctor's note. We were out of milk, my husband could not call in for any on his way home so I set off to the nearest shop about 300 yards away. I got there, bought my milk, staggered home again and just sat there for the rest of the day. I rang the doctor today and am signed off until Monday. If I could not cope with that marathon trek, then there is no way I would have coped with getting to school today let alone dealt with any kids.

One of the other teachers is away on a trip so we are looking after her rabbit. She brought it into school yesterday and lots of the pupils had a stroke and a cuddle. It is a sweet and very cuddly rabbit. We have a spare hutch at the moment so we were asked to look after him until Monday. I thought he might be a bit upset or frightened at all this upheaval and being put into a strange hutch by two strange (very!) people but he seems to be taking it in his stride. As the rabbit was in the car, I wouldn't let my husband call into Sainsburys for some milk on the way home. I was worried about him leaving the rabbit in the car in case that was the moment somebody nicked our car and you can't very well go around Sainsburys carrying a pet carrier. Well, I suppose it is perfectly possible but it does not seem very kind to the rabbit. Although after lots of pupils had played "pass the rabbit", why not? Anyway, I wouldn't let him and Thumper is happily installed in our garden for a few days.

I've taken this opportunity of unexpected time at home to do some cooking. One meal for now and two for the freezer kind of thing. I chopped veg for soup by doing a bit every time I passed through the kitchen and then putting it in the slow cooker. I could cope that way. It was very concentrated soup so it takes less space in the freezer. Tomato and pumpkin with a handful of lentils added for protein. There are 2 x two portion packs in the freezer, we've eaten a third portion and there is a good sized single portion in the fridge which, with the addition of some other veg and maybe some beans, will metamorphose into stew for two. I've also made two pies by the same method. Make pastry then leave it (and me) to rest for several hours, Chop up remains of packet of bacon the next time I venture into the kitchen to make a cuppa. Next time sort out some veg for pie. Next visit, prepare some veg for pie. In the end, my husband came home earlier than I expected so I let him roll out the pastry and make up the pies. There was one large one which will do us twice and one smaller one which is now in the freezer for another time. I don't think we have made a pie in the last 12 months and my husband was really pleased even though he ended up finishing off the preparation.

I've recently acquired a thermos cup which has been wonderful this last week. Make a drink and it is still at perfectly drinkable temperature an hour later. It holds half a litre so is a real boon when you are in bed feeling pathetic and the kettle is two floors down the stairs.

My husband had the flu jab because of his asthma so thankfully, he has not come down with my bug. And I now have three more days to improve before I am thrown to the lions.


  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    Hope you feel a lot better really soon Jo :O)

  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger Jo said…

    Thank you! I got off very light compared to several others that I know who have had this flu - and believe me, they have my heartfelt sympathy.


Post a Comment

<< Home