smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Thursday, January 20, 2022

New Year woes and good things

 Christmas and the New Year feel like a long time ago now. We were meant to go to our elder daughter's for New Year's Day but the day before, small grandson had turned all spotty with chicken pox. He has now kindly passed this along to his dad who had escaped it as a child. Poor man! Our son's family has two members down with Covid but they are now on the road to recovery. The other family members seem to be escaping. Isn't it hard when you have a house full of people and bedrooms shared and then some go down with Covid. My son is sleeping on the bed settee which is not built for tall people like him.

Not to be left out of the sympathy stakes, I have had a heavy cold, my husband has had a funny bug and I have hurt my knee somehow and am hobbling around with a borrowed stick and feeling like a very old lady. What a family! I am discovering that it is not easy to walk around a supermarket with a stick because it keeps slipping on the tiled floors. I keep having to try to make the stick land on the joints between the tiles otherwise it doesn't provide any support at all. I have been trying not to walk too far and to rest my knee but I have had to go to a supermarket three times this year. One time, I called into Asda in the evening on the way to somewhere else and happened to be there when they brought out a trolley full of final reductions. Everything was reduced to 10p or 20p and I definitely came out of the shop with a smile on my face and a bag full of bread, broccoli, sausages, ham and yoghurts. And I spent a whopping £1.30 too : ) Fortunately there was just enough space in the freezer to put some of it away for the following week. It certainly cut the housekeeping bill for a couple of weeks.


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Janice said…

    Covid certainly played havoc with our family over Christmas/New year too. Oldest son and his wife went to Jamaica the week before Christmas and were randomly selected for testing when they arrived back here. Son tested positive and so they had to go straight home, to another province, rather than be able to stay for Christmas. Middle son, who also lives in another province decided not to come home as he works for an airline. He's tested all the time but still didn't want to take any chances of bringing any thing home to us. My BFF tested positive the first week in January, we hadn't seen her since Christmas Eve so we were okay. Oldest son and DIL did all there isolating at home and got their negative test and then came back here for a late Christmas/Birthday celebration. Two days later our Granddaughter, who we had been with at her house, phoned to say she and her husband had both tested positive!! She was so worried about us, so we tested and are negative, but we are worried about her as she is pregnant and also has severe asthma!! Good grief, will all this never end!

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    I do hope your granddaughter is ok. And her husband too as well as the rest of your family. I have not heard of any problems with covid and pregnancy yet but we always worry about those near to us. My husband has asthma and his medication helped a lot when he had asthma. A great grandchild due - it sounds very exciting: )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home