smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Cooking

 Coffeeshop at church is getting more and more customers these days, which is great but I need to bake more to keep up with demand. There are two ladies who come in regularly to help. One cooks one recipe each week and the other cooks two recipes. That leaves me doing everything else. I don't mind really but just occasionally I would like a week off. We have not been away at all since lockdown began in March 2020 and we are beginning to feel that we would like a few days away. It is daunting when you have to cook in bulk and pretty well guarantee that everything you make will both look and taste great. So few people seem to bake these days and the quantity required does put people off volunteering.

On Monday I baked the bare minimum of cakes etc so that I could spend the rest of the day making lasagne. We serve homemade soup, baked potatoes and a hot "special" at lunchtime. the specials rotate between cottage pie, lasagne, cheese and tomato pasta. cheesy veg pasta and pizza. We were low on lasagne in the freezer so I made more. I made 74 portions in the end but the killer is that it is all packaged into two portion foil trays to put into the freezer. The foil trays all have rounded corners but lasagne sheets all have nice sharp, square corners which all need snapped off so that the lasagne sheets fit in the trays. For the topping, I use my friend's yoghurt and egg mixture which tastes lovely and freezes well. It took me nine hours to make everything on Monday and would have taken longer if my nice husband had not done all the washing up for me and also chopped the veg that I put into the lasagne sauce.  I didn't need any rocking when I finally got to bed : )

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home