smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Thursday, November 12, 2020

Harvest Thursday 12 November

 We are still harvesting some things from the allotment, so I am very pleased about that.

leaf beet - there is much less but still enough to have some a couple of times a week.
courgettes - I have picked the very last two finger size courgettes this week so they are finished now
cabbages - there are still several cabbages left, both red and green
asparagus kale - we had lots of volunteers of this around the plot and we transplanted them into one area and they have thrived. I have dried and powdered a jar full of this so that I can add a spoonful of kale to every soup through the winter/ It has a much milder flavour than the more usual curly kale and I really like it. It is an old heritage plant and I was given a few seeds years ago and it spreads volunteer plants every year. So I am hoping that I have it for life now. 

There is also purple sprouting broccoli which is coming on nicely and I can look forward to that in the spring. The above little list is getting really short now but I am pleased that it is as long as it is given that we are now well into November. And we haven't finished eating the potatoes yet. Nor have we started on anything that got stowed in the freezer. 

And a kind fellow plotholder gave me some wonderfully big and flavourful cooking apples and I have made the French apple jam from Thrifty Lesley's website. I have been drying the peel from the oranges that we have eaten and powdering it in my coffee grinder so I used that in the jam instead of the orange peel puree in the recipe and it has worked well. We have been eating it on our breakfast toast and I think I will be making it again next year : )

French apple jam recipe:

https://thriftylesley.com/home-made-french-apple-jam/





Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home