smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Harvest Sunday 27 September

leaf beet - I am still eating spinach as a veg frequently but I have also chopped up lots and wilted it slightly to put in the freezer for the winter. 
raspberries - there are a few raspberries and we have had a few puddings of raspberries with greek yoghurt, sometimes with blackberries too.
courgettes - they are still growing nicely. Enough to eat and give to my family too. I have been eating lots of carrot sticks and courgette sticks for my lunchtime salad. Lovely. We also have one or two marrows which will end up in soup and with some as "pudding" for the hens
runner beans -  I picked the last two beans yesterday : ( No more now until next year.
blackberries - We must have picked over 40 lbs in August and September. I have made blackberry and apple jam mostly for Christmas hampers  and also blackberry chutney this year for the first time. And there are lots of bags of frozen berries for the winter. Just a very few berries left to ripen now - if they ripen, although with warmer weather forecast for next week, I might be lucky.
potatoes - We have had a good harvest off the the potatoes this year. We only planted a few but we had several "volunteers" that we had missed last year.
cucumbers - we have just the one plant that is producing a few cucumbers. They do need peeled but the plant was given to me so I am just pleased with quite a few free cucumbers : )
tomatoes - we had quite a good crop this year but sadly have lost half of them to blight again. The ones I have eaten do taste wonderful, though. And we have had fried green tomatoes several times now - yum!
cabbages - we have had several very nice cabbages, lovely and firm

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 3:42 AM, Blogger Living Alone in Your 60's said…

    The garden is winding down but like you there are still some bits to eat. I've picked pounds of blackberries but because I strain the mixture after cooking you lose so much, its worth it not to have a mouth full of seeds. I was and freeze 2 large bags of berries to use in my protein drinks, they provide excellent fibre and double up as ice cubes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home