smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Update

 They just kept my granddaughter in hospital for one night but did a large array of tests. The GP is supposed to take over now. They want regular blood tests and she was supposed to be having one tomorrow but that has been cancelled because the nurse who does the blood tests is now in isolation... So we are suspended in limbo for a bit while we wait to see what happens next. At least they have ruled out a lot of the nasties that could have been causing some of the symptoms so I am sleeping a bit better now : )

I was given a few quinces by a kind neighbour so I have made quince jelly which will be another thing to add to my Christmas hampers. However, both my HMSO and my WI jam recipe books said to add half an ounce of citric acid which I happened to have in my cupboard, wonder of wonders. But I was saving on time so when I weighed my sugar out in a bowl, I added the citric acid in on top..... and a clump of citric acid fell out and I had added twice as much as I needed. I could not tell the difference between the citric acid and the sugar so I just had to add it all. It is an incredible colour, very jewel-like but with a definite tang of lemon in the flavour. I think I had better label it as "quince and lemon jelly" and it will make a very pleasant alternative to marmalade for breakfast. Next time I get given quinces, I will make very sure that I weigh out the citric acid separately!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 1:28 PM, Blogger Living Alone in Your 60's said…

    It's so worrying especially as everything seems to be adhoc at the moment. I hope she continues to get the care and attention she deserves. I love the sound of your quince jelly.

     
  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    She will be having a phone consultation with the doctor this week. We'll see what he says. That will be over a week since her trip to hospital and the blood test will be over a fortnight away. Nothing happens very fast any more.

    I love the taste of my quince and lemon jelly and since there was a little bit left that didn't fill a jar, we have been eating it on our breakfast toast. Lovely!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home