smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Monday, July 13, 2020

The Glorious Twelfth

Today is the Glorious Twelfth. And if you understand that, then you know where I grew up. As a child, it was simply a day with celebrations and parades and bands marching. I don't even know if they celebrate like that any more. There was nothing overtly political about it - just a good excuse for a holiday.

Today we celebrated by going to see our daughter and her husband and our little grandson. It was fun. My daughter and son-in-law also sorted my phone out because it was misbehaving. My phone threw a wobbly recently, deleted a couple of apps and refused to let others work although I could make and receive texts and calls with no problems. The phone also deleted my ring tone. and said that the SD card was corrupted.  This is all way above my technology skill set! Apparently there were some photos that were corrupted and this was the cause of all my problems. Anyway, they have sorted me and my phone out and I am happy again - until the next time...

It was lovely to see my little grandson and play in the garden with him. On our way home, I had a phone call from my son who asked that we call in at their house as he had something for me.  It turned out that they had been to an Asian shop and bought some real samosas with tamarind sauce and a carrot salad garnish. And, bless him, he had made sure to include enough for me. Yum! guess what I had for tea last night - as soon as I got in the door!  My husband won't eat them in case of meeting something spicy. I left him to do himself egg and beans and sat down and enjoyed mine : ) It was about seven hours since a light lunch so I was ravenous.

Yesterday I went to church for a morning service with a difference. Church but not as we knew it! We were sat in family groups all spread out across the sanctuary and there was no singing. And all of us wearing masks. It felt sooo weird. At least we can meet together for worship despite it being so different.

We have not harvested any different food from the allotment this week but just more of the same so I have not added to my list. My gooseberries are ready to pick but I just want a dry day for that.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 6:33 AM, Blogger Living Alone in Your 60's said…

    I was brought up in Liverpool and the Orange Lodge marched on the 12th. I had a friend who belonged to it and she explained what the story was all about.King Billy etc I was catholic and fascinated by it.

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    : )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home