smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Sunday, July 05, 2020

Harvest Sunday 5 July

leaf beet - larger leaves for cooking as spinach
leaf beet - small leaves to use in a salad (just me as my husband won't eat it raw)
rhubarb
raspberries
strawberries
mixed baby lettuce leaves

Our leaf beet is still hanging in there and has not yet gone to the hens. If there is people food then the hen food has to wait. My friend who has an allotment near ours, gave me two of her beetroot this week. She had planted them quite close together and was thinning them out. I was happy to help! My husband does not like eating beetroot so they are both mine : ) We cut the beetroot leaves off and chopped them up with a couple of cauliflower leaves and three lone cabbage leaves and had them for dinner the night we got them. They taste just like spinach. Yum. I cook the beetroot in the microwave in the same way as potato and they are lovely. I like them as a veg with dinner or in a salad but they are also great in a cheese sandwich, especially with homemade wholemeal bread.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 11:47 PM, Blogger Living Alone in Your 60's said…

    I always plant loads of beetroot it's my favourite along with cauliflower. You just have to remember it turns your pee pink or it can be a shock! LOL.

     
  • At 7:14 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    LOL : )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home