smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Saturday, June 13, 2020

Things harvested.

We have been back to the allotment today. We have had a few days off while my husband's sciatica eased off a bit. We didn't stay long today but put a few stakes in and I hoed a few rows of the brassicas. One of the other blogs I read has a list of the things that she has harvested and I thought I might find it of interest next year if I did the same. So far this year, we have had the biggest harvest off the leaf beet. We have had dozens of meals from it so far.

leaf beet - larger leaves for cooking as spinach
leaf beet - small leaves to use in a salad (just me as my husband won't eat it raw)
leaf beet flowers (cooked like purple sprouting broccoli)
rhubarb
raspberries
strawberries

And every time we go to the allotment, I bring a mixed salad home for the rabbit's dinner too. Usually there are things I can bring home for the hens too. They all like fresh greens, just like us : )

I have now lost four hens since the lockdown started, including my all time favourite. We don't usually lose so many close together like that but they were all older girls.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger Living Alone in Your 60's said…

    I've never heard of leaf beet.

     
  • At 6:12 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    Some people call it perpetual spinach. I find it a more useful plant in our situation because I can crop it over a much longer period as it is far less prone to bolt. It is also easy to collect some seed for next year's plants, so making them free : ). I got some seeds originally from Lidl but I don't know if they had any seeds this year.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home