smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Back to work on the allotment

Now that we are fairly back to normal after the coronavirus and have a little bit of energy, we are concentrating on the allotment so that we can have some harvest from it. We have the potatoes in, various brassicas and some sweetcorn. At home we have lots of tomato seedlings, more brassica seedlings, both green beans and runner beans, chard and spring onions. I want a wigwam of runner beans here at the house so that I can ensure that I can pick some young and tender runner beans, just the way I like them. I also want the spring onions here in a big pot so that I can pick them one at a time to go on my salads. My husband doesn't like them so I only have a few planted and they are all for me : ).

We have done well with the seeds. They are all from last year or the year before or the year before that and I was not at all sure how many would germinate but I have been surprised and really pleased by the number that are growing.

We have been eating lots of leaf beet (perpetual spinach) these last two weeks. The season for it is over and it is trying to flower and I have been picking and eating the stems with the flower buds on. After all, broccoli is a stem with flower buds on. They have been lovely - so tasty. I do love spinach any way I have tried it. It has nearly come to an end and I will miss it. When we have picked everything off the stems that we want, the hens will get the whole plant and there will be hardly anything left by the time they have finished pecking at it because they love anything like this too : )

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home