smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Sad times

I've lost my chicken Nugget. She would have been nine years old in June. She was an old lady and liked to take herself into her nestbox and have a nap in the afternoons. One afternoon she simply did not wake up again. At least I know that she was not ill and did not suffer. She was a real character and I will miss her dreadfully. My husband and I have this dreadful virus and I did not see her for her last week. But she was still laying three eggs a week for me which is pretty good for an almost nine year old Buff Orpington.

Just stay away from everybody and stay safe and healthy

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger Janice said…

    So sorry to read that you lost Nugget. You had her such a long time it would be impossible not to get attached. I hope you and your hubby are feeling better soon, and staying home. I did answer the questions you asked me in a previous post about my time in Belfast but I see it didn't get posted.

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    Sorry, Janice. This is my first time on the computer for a few days so I was not here to "allow" your comment.

    Nugget was one of the first three hens that we hatched at school and I brought her and two partially hatched eggs home on my lap wrapped up in a towel. It was Friday afternoon and the caretakers would not wait any longer for us. Literally, she was used to being handled from a few minutes old. She was so tame and such a character. The day had to come but I was so upset that I did not get to see her for the last week of her life because I was ill.

    Stay away from other people, please. You and hubby don't want this bug!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home