smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Back again

Well, here we are again back from another trip to Cambridge for my husband's business meetings. It was the first longer journey in the new car and it did fine. On the last day, I had to leave the hotel room by noon. All our possessions were on view in the car so I didn't want to leave it and go somewhere warmer. I couldn't cope with the thought of them somebody breaking in just in case anything was valuable. Nothing was but I don't want to have to cope with any insurance company again for a VERY long time, if ever. I had several sheets of puzzles to do to keep me occupied but I was absolutely stiff with cold by the time my husband appeared. I really missed the blanket that I kept in the car that was stolen last month. My friend has a load of samples that she has done of patchwork patterns from the class she goes to. She says that she has far too many of them so will join some together into a quilt with a fleece backing that I can keep in the car so that I won't freeze in future. How lovely!

This rain has not let up for very long at any one time. I wish we could have a little rest from it. My cream coloured hens and my white hens are unbelievably brown with mud. The brown hens are muddy too but it is just a little less obvious. The runs are just liquid mud that they are wading through because the heavy clay soil just cannot drain because the water table is so high. We have used up all the leaves that we gathered up in the autumn to put in their runs to keep their poor little feet a bit more out of the mud.  I am playing Grabbyword (fun word game) with a lady in Australia who is not very far from the bush fires. She was so pleased last week because they actually had 15 minutes of rain...…..


Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger Compostwoman said…

    If you can get some pallets to lay in the runs, that will keep them out of the mud.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home