smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Thursday, January 23, 2020

What a week!

What a week - and we are only on Thursday. On Monday I was down at church baking as usual. In the afternoon we had to go to the funeral of an old friend so my husband came down on the bus at lunchtime to help me clear up so that we could go off to the funeral which was about 10 miles away. He washed up everything that was ready to be washed and popped to the office to do a job until I was finished with the rest of the utensils. His coat was sitting on my chair in the corner of the kitchen. I popped out to the Ladies at one point - the only time I was out of the kitchen. So we finished up and packed my bags up and went out to get in the car to go home and change for the funeral. And the car was gone. Stolen. Somebody had nipped into the kitchen when I was out of it for two minutes at the Ladies and felt in the zipped up pockets of my husband's coat and found the car keys.... I did not know he had left them there or I would have moved them. We had only bought the car in May (2012 model so not exactly new) and have since paid for a tow bar to be fitted and for a specific-to-that-car roof rack. My husband's spare glasses are in the car (£500 for a new pair because he has so many eye problems) and lots of tools and all sorts of stuff that is convenient for us to have at hand in the car. The insurance company will pay a maximum of £250 for contents. Grrr.

We have cctv footage of the man and woman who stole the car, three eyewitnesses who can describe them. They are known "customers" at the coffee shop, always asking for a free cup of tea. The coffee shop staff noted them particularly this visit because they asked for a free cup of tea because they could not afford to pay and then asked for the code for the security barrier at the end of the carpark. they wondered how they could afford to run a vehicle when they could not afford the tea.

And with all that evidence, the police don't seem very interested at all. I didn't know that you can only report a theft of or from a car or from a house online now. It took a good couple of hours to do that. Then another hour with the insurance company trying to talk on the phone with a Chinese (or thereabouts) lady whose first language was definitely NOT English. What a performance! The insurance company are just assuming that our car will never be seen again. So we went frantic yesterday going around car sales places to look at cars while we still have the courtesy car to get there.

And last night my husband went down with a tummy bug. 18 hours now and he is still running to the bathroom. I am sitting here waiting to see if he has passed the bug on or not...…..

And we never got to the funeral to say goodbye to our elderly friend.

What a week!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home