smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

New beginnings

So this week is the start of the rest of our lives post car trauma. Thank goodness! I have even slept the last two nights. Mind you, the can't-eat-my-dinner thing was good for my waistline.

So my oldest granddaughter, now 22, is trying to work out how she can get herself on the property ladder. She reckons that if she can get a toe on the ladder now, then that will be of benefit later. She has been saving hard and has some deposit ready. She can't afford a regular estate agent listing but wondered if she could buy something at auction. I am worried that she is looking at the guide price rather than thinking about how much the house might actually go for. Also, nobody in the family has any experience of buying at auction and it seems quite a complicated process to me, being completely uninitiated. I checked that she realises the whole long list of bills that she would have to pay as a homeowner - community charge, water rates, gas, electricity, insurance. She has everything on a spreadsheet and reckons she can cover everything as well as eat and clothe herself, run her car and have a bit over for herself. She is very determined!

I can well remember us buying our first house. We were very green! She is far more with it than we were. We will have to see what happens.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger Tracy said…

    It is a palaver trying to work out all the nitty-gritty of insurance companies and such. We have just had our own car drama when my youngest learner driver had an accident (no one was hurt thankfully). Struggling along with the logistics now of one car and living 22 miles out of town.
    I hope your new vehicle serves you well.

     
  • At 2:51 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    Hi Tracy. Nice to meet you : ) although I have visited your blog in the past (but didn't comment so you won't have known). Glad you are over the shingles. My husband had it about five years ago but I couldn't get him to go to the doctor so he still has a few problems in that area. Hope you get some rain soon. We have had lots so we could spare you some...…

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger Compostwoman said…

    Car troubles are very time consuming!. Mind you, when I had my phone stolen in the street, the time it took to cancel everything, change passwords was horrendous

     

Post a Comment

<< Home