smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Mothering Sunday


Mothering Sunday was fun. We were at church, as always, in the morning and every lady was given a bunch of daffodils, which was a nice treat. I can't bring myself to pay the price for cut flowers very often so this was a nice treat.  My husband reacts to the pollen of a lot of flowers so that is the major reason for not having flowers in the house, with the other reason being the price.

We had lunch at home and then my son and our three grandchildren came to visit. This visit was both a treat for me and a treat for his wife - she had a nice long soak in the bath on her own with no interruptions from small children wanting something : )

Unfortunately they had forgotten to give antihistamine to the eldest and he reacts to cats so the visit was not as long as I would have liked or my daughter-in-law either. But it was fun while it lasted. And my present was a voucher for an Indian meal cooked by my son on a date to be arranged.  My husband hates anything even slightly spicy so I never have anything spicy and this meal will be a real treat.  My husband will probably end up with baked beans.

Then we went to dinner with one daughter and her family.  That was good too.  She had baked me a cake for a present. It was nice to sit and have a quiet evening together.  I had seen my other daughter the night before, at a quiz evening at church.  She came to be part of our team for the quiz.  For a present, she had brought me a thoughtful present as she knows that I would far rather have a practical present than another "thing" and the traditional flowers and chocolates are not appropriate because of me trying to lose weight and my husband reacting to pollen. I did have to laugh though as I was given a large bag of recycled jars for my jams and pickles and a large bag of tumble dryer fluff which is great for lighting the woodburner. I also had a box of all the woodchips that she had saved for me from her woodcarving which she has taken up as a new hobby in the last year, also destined for the woodburner. Definitely not a traditional present but one which had a lot of thought put into it.



130 items gone

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 10:57 PM, Blogger Fran said…

    Haha, I had to laugh at your practical present. I got a ton of compost from my sons and the added bonus of it being narrowed to the allotment and all the raised beds filled. Far better than a bunch of flowers that die! Mind you, your Indian meal voucher is also a fabulous idea and such a treat xxx

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    I sent my mother-in-law flowers but she is in her eighties, lives in a minute flat and they are something she loves but doesn't have to keep. So they are appropriate for her. I liked my presents and I knew that they would all have put thought into them but I had to wait until number one daughter had gone before I laughed.

    I like the idea of your compost too : )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home