smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Hens and Half Term

Just tomorrow to go and it will be half term.   No school for a whole week.  Yay!! I am so looking forward to NOT being woken up by the alarm clock.

After the recent tragedy of something horrible killing my new little flock of pretty bantams, I'm hoping that I will be able to get some more hens during half term.  I could really use some more eggs as ours are not laying enough for us let alone my few customers as well.  I keep having to go to the shop and buy some eggs, which goes against the grain when I have 8 hens at home all eating well but not keeping to their part of the bargain.  My oldest hen has once again laid 2 eggs this week and 2 more hens, who are about 18 months younger, are not laying at all and haven't for a year now.  Mind you, you can be sure that within a couple of days of me buying eggs from the shop, there will be a little flurry of eggs laid and then I have to go sell them to one of my customers.  Those hens must have been having conversations with my contrary cat... : )


Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Fran said…

    I hope you enjoyed all your lie-ins and had a good break. Unfortunately although I teach I do not get the school holidays :(. Are the hens laying yet? Xxx

     
  • At 12:23 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    I'm so sorry that you don't get the holidays - they are like the carrot in front of the donkey and keep me going forwards... And the hens are laying a little more - at last : )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home