This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Friday, February 28, 2014

Half Term Ramblings

We had booked to go and stay at the farm in Wales where we have been for the last few February half term breaks.  It feels like home from home now.  However, my husband's important meeting changed its date (rather late in the day) to the Monday of half term week so that meant that we could not go to Wales until the Tuesday.  Soooo....

My son and his family went on Friday night and stayed until Tuesday.  We overlapped by one meal and it was good to hear that young grandson really REALLY enjoyed himself.  It was his first time on a farm and to be honest, I wasn't sure how much he would take to all the animals around (and to the five dogs - I don't think he has ever met more than one at a time before) In fact he cried his eyes out because he didn't want to go home.  Son-in-law brought oldest granddaughter down on Monday.  They stayed overnight and then SIL left.  Granddaughter stayed until Thursday evening (getting up at 5.30 each morning to help with the animals...) when SIL fetched her home.  And we stayed until Sunday, giving us two days of peace and quiet.  At least the family all had fun and we really appreciated those two days on our own.

On the Saturday, I went to a chicken wholesaler and bought 5 little brown hens.  I'd taken my biggest cat basket with me to Wales just in case... The farm had a spare run and they set up a hen hotel for me (well, for the hens, actually) for the night. And we came home on Sunday and put the new girls in a temporary run until we get things re-jigged a bit.  They seem happy enough and one of them has laid two miniature eggs this week - about 35 grams and the older ones are laying eggs weighing about 75-80 grams.  Having lost my beautiful bantam crosses recently, I'm very pleased to have some new girls.

We spent most of our few days in Wales up on the moors.  We would have an early lunch and then go and park up in some of our favourite spots, go for a walk and then sit in the car with a cuppa from the flask (and some homemade biscuits) and read a book or do a sudoku in between admiring the fabulous views and chatting to the curious sheep.  We thought it was a very busy afternoon if more than one car/van/tractor passed us : )  We were fortunate that we had showers rather than solid rain so we were able to go for walks.  I was delighted to be able to go for a walk this year after tearing the cartilage in my knee last winter.  For a long time I thought that I'd never be able to go for a walk again...

And now I've been back at work for 5 days and the holiday is rapidly sinking into the "distant memory" category.  I never cease to wonder at how quickly that happens.

Labels: ,


  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Fran said…

    That's some to-ing and fro-ing, I was exhausted just reading it! Glad you had a good time and some time to relax, you deserved it xxx


Post a Comment

<< Home