smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Even more jam again

I've been working my way through the fruit that I collected last weekend.  So I made sloe and apple jam.  I sieved the sloes to take the stones out and then I sieved the apples too so it has the consistency of a spread.  I bought a mouli mill a couple of years ago (from Amazon using e-vouchers that I earned doing surveys) and it really takes the effort out of sieving things like this.  There were a handful of blackberries that went into this jam and the seeds went through the holes in the mill so it is not quite seedless but I love the flavour.

And I've boiled up hedgerow jelly tonight made from the rest of the fruit from that country lane.  I thought the jelly was going to be this year's failure because I boiled it for 55 minutes before it showed signs of setting and I thought the flavour would be spoilt.  The last spooonful went into a little bowl and we can try that tomorrow.  I'm too tired tonight so I'll wait to pronounce judgement.

Last summer I didn't get my hands on any fruit so no jam whatsoever was made - just some marmalade to add to Christmas presents.  I kept all my jars, though, and have added to my collection through the year.  It is just as well, since I've made so much this year.

I'd like to make some apple chutney with some of the windfalls I was given and then I am all jammed/pickled out.  I think most people will be getting a hamper for Christmas this year : )

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    We ran out of jars and I refuse to pay for them, so this year I will be keeping those that i have used ready for Jam and chutney making

    Sharon x

    www.onelifeand3kids.blogspot.co.uk

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger Fran said…

    I have never heard of sloe jam before. Sloes are very sour normally so is the jam a sweet jam or savoury jam? We have lots of sloes round here so it would be useful to be able to use them xxxx

     
  • At 2:03 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    It is a sharper jam in the way that damson is sharper than strawberry. It could be used as savoury but won't in this house.

    You can make sloe and apple jelly with either crab apples or windfalls which might be less faff but will give a lower yield. Jelly is a beautiful colour, though. Either one part sloe to two parts apple or else one to one. Just (and only just) cover with water in two separate pans until pulpy.Cook separately as sloes will take longer and then combine to strain through jelly bag. 1lb sugar to 1 pint juice and boil to a set. Will take longer than you think to get to setting point.

    I cooked the fruit separately and sieved it (which meant I didn't have to peel and core the apples as some were really small) and then combined and used 1lb sugar to 1 pint of pulp and boiled to setting point. It is a different texture - more like a spread - but the seeds from the added handful of blackberries slipped through the holes of my mouli so not quite seedless.

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Jo it's FM here, my blog has moved to: www.frugalmummy.blogspot.co.uk
    Can I ask you to publicise this please as something horrid has happened and I can't access any of my old blog or the last four years' worth of blogs - aaargh!! Many thanks, FM xxxxx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home