smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Monday, November 05, 2012

It was the Boys Brigade bonfire night on Friday.  As both of the leaders' wives had produced babies in the last two months and as one of the leaders is my son, I got roped in to help.  I spent the evening with soup and sausages.  Rumour has it that there actually was a bonfire but I never saw it.  I did see millions of hot dogs and gallons of soup, though.

By the time we were done with the food, my back was killing me as I'd only had a low table to serve from. Still, they all seemed to have enjoyed themselves.  At least I was inside in the warm while they were out in the cold : )

I knew that I would be in trouble on Saturday morning because of my back and because I was so overtired.  As Tesco was on the way back from the farm where the bonfire was held, I opted to get my shopping while I was still vaguely upright in case I wasn't up to it on Saturday.  That was a good decision as I was fairly incapable on Saturday morning and because I hit some wonderful yellow stickered bargains.  It was the vegetables that were reduced.  There were lots of packets of runner beans at 3p; larger packs of stringless beans at 10p; a pack of asparagus reduced from £2 to 3p (I checked VERY carefully in case there was another of those packets hiding under something); mangetout and sugarsnap peas at 10p; 400g packs of broccoli and cauliflower florets at 5p.  There were also 2 packs of rice noodles at 3p. Yum! After such a poor harvest of veg from the allotment,  I am feeling happier about the quantity and variety of veg in the freezer now.  I foresee quite a few stirfries in our future.

I also bought six months' worth of plain, selfraising, wholemeal and bread flours as they were on offer at 3 for the price of 2 as well as six months' worth of dried fruit that were also included in this offer.  If the fruit lasts me longer than six months, then I will be very pleased as I was too tired to make a good guess at how much to buy. Along with milk for the week and a pack of two enormous pizza bases reduced to 50p, I spent just fractionally over £30. And that includes the ton of fruit and veg that I bought for my son and his family too. I was very pleased with all that : )

One of the items reduced was a toffee apple for 5p which I sent to my grandson.  Last of the bigspending grandmothers!  I reckon he got a lot of enjoyment out of my 5p. And it is a serious business eating a toffee apple.






Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At 6:30 AM, Blogger Andrea@Familyconnect said…

    That sounds like a VERY worthwhile shopping trip!

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Blogger Dianne - Hereford said…

    Toffee apple looks great. I am knitting like it is going out of fashion for my first grandchild due in January. Still working on how you could retire early; will let you know when I have a sensible foolproof plan. I was unlucky/lucky at the age of 50 when my husband died but early retirement was the best thing I ever did.
    Hope the back has recovered but I bet the soup etc. was appreciated.

    Dianne - Hereford Look forward to your next blog.

     
  • At 12:25 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    Thank you Andrea and Dianne for visiting.

    Dianne, I can recommend grandchildren - you get all the fun bits without any of the responsibility : )

     
  • At 5:15 AM, Blogger Angela said…

    Brilliant bargains.
    And well done you - I remember bonfire nights hunched over the food table, serving what felt like HUNDREDS of people, all extolling the brilliant fireworks display [which I had completely missed] You deserve the late night bargains after your efforts.
    Hope the back ache easing up

    thanks for kind comment on my blog. Still praying that we can keep the bike...whatever happens, the Lord will provide!

     
  • At 1:40 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    Hi Ang

    Last weekend, I was thinking kind thoughts of you when I used the almond essence you sent me :)

    I had bought a 22p pack of basic cake mix from Sainsburys to try and a drop of the almond essence definitely improved it. I have a big batch of cake to make soon and wondered whether a half and half mixture of cheapo cake mix and the real thing might prove both cheaper and easier on my mixing arm. The verdict on the texture of the cheapo mix on its own was not good but jam and custard do help.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home