smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The hen houses and runs are nearly finished.  The damp weather of the last week has not helped.  I've made damson jam, damson and plum jam and beetroot chutney.  I'm hoping to go blackberrying this afternoon but I need some kind person to give me some windfall apples. 

I've also made coleslaw from the recipe from the Simple, Green Coop:

http://simple-green-frugal-co-op.blogspot.com/2011/08/garden-time-summer-slaw.html

This turned out to be really tasty and my husband approves.  I like it too and I'm not a big fan of shop bought coleslaws so I'm happy to have found this recipe.  I also got an enormous cabbage from the allotment show for 50p.  This recipe says the original recipe said that the coleslaw would keep in the fridge for 6 weeks.  Like the writer from the Simple, Green Coop, I won't find out if it will keep that long.  Ours has lasted a week and now I need to make more because we've eaten it all.  It is so easy if you have a food processor.  I've often made coleslaw but have used mayonnaise as a basis for the dressing and I find that I like this recipe much better.

Just one more day of freedom : (

1 Comments:

  • At 6:48 AM, Blogger Angela said…

    Jo - I used a shot glass from cupboard - just measured it is 1.5 floz/40ml capacity.

    Your blog is great - please do sign up for my Thrifty Thursdays, you have such helpful ideas on savings

    blessings x

     

Post a Comment

<< Home