smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Monday, July 25, 2011

We had a visit from the fox towards the end of last week.  Fortunately, he didn't get any of my hens. However, one of my hens had gone broody and when they had laid any eggs for the day, I've been closing up the entrance to the henhouse so that she could not go back and just sit in the nest box all day.  My husband went up at dusk to let them back into the henhouse and then shut it up for the night.  But he missed one of the hens who was probably hiding, and that was what the fox was after.  In the morning, I found a traumatised hen holding herself upright by leaning on the feed hopper and all fluffed up and hunched with her tail pointing straight down at the ground.  Her comb had gone a very pale pink.  Poor thing!  I thought I was going to lose her but after wandering around aimlessly for a couple of days and refusing to eat, she decided to stay with us yesterday and eat something.  Today, she is looking a great deal perkier.  The fox had dug a substantial hole right under the edge of the run but had come up against the heavy duty wire that I keep under the run.  It is quite large mesh wire so that the hens can still scratch around easily but the fox can't get in.  This wire has saved my hens on quite a number of occasions now as the fox has also been to visit several times during the daytime when the hens are in the run but we are at work. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home