smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Half term!!! Yayyyyy!!!!!!

All seven of my new little hens are now laying. Twice this week we have had 7 eggs from them and they keep running to me and are quite happy to be picked up. I love it when they run to and not from me. If they are happy to be handled then it is so much easier if you have to do anything like treat them with medication or whatever. Hens are so soft. Their feathers don't feel at all like the gulls' feathers you pick up on the beach which is what I find most city dwellers think. I took 4 boxes of eggs into work yesterday again and after I had sold them, was asked for more. I have a second career here looming :) Here comes the egg lady... The eggs are small and lots have little freckles on them - very pretty. They are definitely getting larger by the day but nothing like the size laid by the older ones yet.

The sun has come out and it has stopped raining so I'm going to nip out and give them some corn quick before it starts raining again.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm glad you are enjoying half term. I love the sound of your chicken. When I have room one day; I shall get some.

     
  • At 12:33 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    You will enjoy them - I'm absolutely sure of that. They never cease to amuse me with their antics. Each one has their own personality and little quirks. When I feel a bit low about something, I go out and watch the hens for a while and they always make me laugh. You don't need a huge amount of room for 3-4 hens...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home