smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

We had a lovely day on Wednesday. Some workmen dug through a water main near school so they had to send us all home at lunchtime. Shame :) We went home quick, had lunch and rushed down to the allotment. I did a few jobs and then sat in the sun and watched my husband working. I like work - I could watch it all day. That day was a real treat.

We were down at the allotment this afternoon again and so far, we are on top of the weeds. I'm not sure that we will be able to keep that up but at least the seedlings will be off to a good start. I brought back a nice bag of mixed salad for the rabbits (bit of dandelion, bit of bramble, bit of lemon balm, bit of leaf beet, bit of hawthorn shoots) which they absolutely adored for their dinner. I was given a few seed potatoes and leek seedlings which were surplus to my neighbour's requirements. My son and daughter each have a little veg plot in their gardens and are delighted that I can pass on some of my freebies. I find that people on allotments are very generous.

I called in at my friend's farm yesterday. They have two calves born in the last couple of days - just beautiful. I could not believe how much bouncing around they can do at just a few hours old. The lambs are getting so big now too. I picked a few more nettles as we enjoyed the soup so much.

Off to bed now, so that I can get up early and go to work. I'd rather be down at the allotment or in the fields.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Your day sounds so perfect. I potted my tomatoes on today, I have almost 1 hundred of them!! I can't wait to give some away! my friends have babies and they're busy and we'll take them some growbags and get the toms in their green house for them with some butternut squash and courgettes - isn't gardening joyous!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home