smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Thursday, July 04, 2013

Food Processing

I've been working my way through the food that we bought im order to save it for later.  The tomatoes were beautifully firm so they've been saved until last.  The cherry size ones were split and dried in the oven.  The idea was that I would store them in oil but I didn't realise quite how much they shrank.  The jar for storing them would have to be a really small jar.  They do taste good, though.

One of the reduced things I got was strawberries.  I don't think I included these.  We don't have enough on our strawberry patch to think of jam this year.  Maybe next year...? So some reduced boxes were a good find and I made 6 lbs of jam.  I've made 1 &1/4 lbs of butter with 1/2 a pint of buttermilk in the fridge waiting to be made into scones. The elderflower cordial has been made but I couldn't spot the glass bottles last night so it will have to be bottled tonight.

Just think - homemade scones with homemade butter and homemade strawberry jam washed down with homemade elderflower cordial : )

My husband wouldn't thank you for the cordial - he will want his usual cuppa.

Not long to go until we get to the summer holidays but I'm too tired to get excited and there is too much to do before then too.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger Fran said…

    Homemade scones have to have homemade strawberry jam and with homemade butter that sounds perfect. Now my mouth is watering xxx

     
  • At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Chris said…

    Fantastic!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home