smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Buttering me up

My daughter called in on her way home from work.  She had stopped at the supermarket to pick some shopping and they had some double cream reduced so she brought us some.  I made it into butter and produced 1 lb 2 ozs in about 15 minutes total.  I would have had a little bit more butter but my husband begged a little cream to have as cream.  It really is so easy in a food processor and very little mess to clean up. I've divided it into 2oz-ish blocks which fit neatly together and are now in the freezer.  That means we can take out one block at a time at the weekend and as my husband gets through far more butter (or substitute) than I do, he can use the butter substitute at the end of the week when the real stuff is gone.  If I didn't do this, I'd rarely get to have any butter as it would all be eaten before I get there as I usually only use it at the weekend..

And the cost?  Just 5p per pint of cream.  So 10p for my butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   : )

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 6:41 AM, Blogger Kay said…

    WOW that's brilliant I would love to know how you did it I have wondered how easy it would be. Do you salt it or make it without?
    Kay :-)

     
  • At 6:54 AM, Blogger Scarlet said…

    That's a fantastic price! Your butter will taste all the better knowing how cheaply and easily it was made.

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Blogger Lindjemp said…

    Sounds great! how do you make your butter? thanks, Linda

     

Post a Comment

<< Home