smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

It has been a lovely week.  We went round to one daughter's house and spent the evening with that family and a few friends.  Then yesterday we all got together as a family at our other daughter's house that had been away over Christmas and exchanged presents and had a fun evening.  I do love seeing my family!

We have pottered through a few jobs this week but mainly we have been resting.  It feels like a very long time since we had a good rest.  We've even sat down and watched a few films together.  It has been months since we had enough free time to sit down and spend two hours just watching a film.  Life is just too busy with no time to stop and stare. 

The hens obviously know that it is holiday time because they have laid more eggs than usual - and most of my customers are from work so I am stockpiling eggs.  We are not even eating many ourselves because we are still eating transformed leftovers although we have now reached the end of everything that had not gone into the freezer.  The hens are having their little joke - they must have been chatting to my contrary cats : )

The freezers are absolutely full to overflowing.  Our New Year's no 1 resolution must be to eat from the freezer for a while.  We've reached the point now where if we rootle in the freezer, we can't get the things back in the exact same places in the 3D jigsaw so the door doesn't shut properly.  Not good from any point of view!  I predict that our shopping bills will be very low for January. 

I went for a walk yesterday to our local Tesco Express which is a most useless shop and I don't normally visit it.  I had a price guarantee slip for £1.24 which was up yesterday and I had not been able to get to a "proper" Tesco so I thought that even if I just bought a bottle of milk with it, that would be better than wasting it.  I didn't get milk - instead I got a loaf of seeded bread reduced to 29p and 3 x 250g blocks of cheese reduced to 45p each.  So I spent £1.64 less the £1.24 voucher = 40p.  Not a bad little haul for 40p!  I gave my son and one daughter each a block of cheese and earned lots of thanks at very little expense.  Those two offspring had each brought me a little bag of goodies in the last two weeks all with yellow stickers on.  These yellow stickers really help keep the spending down.
My son and this daughter brought the bags of yellow stickered stuff as their way of contributing to the Christmas dinner as they realise how expensive it can be to feed a celebration dinner to 10 people, especially with the mix of meateaters, vegetarians, fisheaters and allergies that we had.  My other daughter is not really into yellow stickers.  The other reason that I was so pleased with my trip to the little Tesco was that it is the furthest that I've walked in the last 5 1/2 weeks since I started with this chest infection.  I was puffing like wind broken horse (as my father used to say) when I got back but I survived.  A week ago I would not even have been able to contemplate going.  Still no voice, though.

I can hear footsteps overhead which mean that my husband has woken up at last.  He needs to catch up on his sleep because when he is really tired, his asthma is always worse.  So I'm letting him sleep until he wakes naturally all week.  It will be back to the alarm clock next week. It is breakfast time now and I'm definitely ready for it so I'll finish by wishing you

a Happy New Year - happy and healthful and prosperous!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:19 AM, Blogger freerangegirl said…

    Sounds like a very productive Christmas! Glad you got a break, we all need to get some rest. Happy New Year x

     

Post a Comment

<< Home