smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas 2011

My husband and I woke up and opened our stockings whilst eating warm croissants.  Then it was off to church for a great service and back home to get the pinnies on and finish getting the meal ready. 

We spent a lovely Christmas with most of our family.  One daughter and her other half had gone to stay with his family and we'll see her for New Year.  The other ten of us had a lovely day together and our grandson stole the show.  We always open presents after the meal and once he had opened the first toy, he wanted time to play with it before he opened the next. He was very sweet.

My husband cooked Christmas dinner as he always does and did a fantastic job.  Small grandson had a sausage because that is what he likes best.  The rest of us had a big variety of things because we were a real mixture of vegetarians and meat eaters with a few allergies thrown in.  We had roast chicken (homegrown!) and gammon and hazelnut loaf; roast potatoes (we cheated and bought a pack of frozen ones) and mashed potatoes (homegrown); courgettes, beansprouts, plantain, mushroom and leek stirfried together; sweet potatoes, carrots, onions (homegrown) and parsnips (homegrown) and squash (homegrown) roasted together; sprouts; mashed carrot and swede; braised red cabbage; peas and sweetcorn; parsley and onion stuffing and pork and orange stuffing; cranberry and orange sauce (homemade), apple sauce (homemade and bottled in the summer because we had run out of saucepans to make it fresh), bread sauce, chicken gravy and veggie gravy. This list is to remind me about all the vegetables when we come to think about Christmas dinner 2012.  My family like their veg!

We also had Christmas pudding and custard or cream, trifle, icecream with butterscotch sauce (homemade) and jelly for little grandson.  There was a variety of alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks and tea and coffee and crackers with silly jokes and hats.  Just in case there was a last minute hiccup in the kitchen before the meal was served, there were also a few nibbles and dips (but they only got nibbled at and were recycled for the meal at our other daughter's house on Boxing Day).

Most of us were at our other daughter's for a meal on Boxing Day together with a few friends.  This was a simple meal and welcome after the richness of the Christmas meal.  Today is a day for us to relax quietly together after all the activity of the last week.  I love spending time with my family but I've been looking forward to my husband and I just being together today with nothing in the diary and nothing that has to be done today.  There are lots of jobs on the list but they can wait until tomorrow.  I've left him to sleep until he wakes naturally and have crept away to play on the computer.  In a little while, we'll have a quiet breakfast together.

It has been a funny Christmas in a way.  The chest infection has not left yet and I get breathless with the least effort and my voice won't come back - it has been gone 5 weeks tomorrow.  As I am the lead singer at church, that makes life a bit difficult!  So I have not been able to sing any carols at all - those carol services and carols in the High Street and all the other opportunities we had at local sheltered housing etc etc were done without me.  Nobody is indispensable, I know, but it was hard to be left behind every time. Christmas Day was difficult too because those people that I have not seen for a while wanted to talk to me and I couldn't talk back to them.  I'm beginning to get a little anxious about going back to school with no voice.  If I have to try to use my voice, then it sets me back.  Anyone know any good cures?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home