smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Saving time and money in September

See Angela's blog Tracing Rainbows for the other Thrifty Thursday posts:


http://angalmond.blogspot.com/

This is another post on Friday rather than Thursday.  I started this post yesterday and then couldn't find my sheet of paper with the apple cake recipe.  By the time I discovered where I had put it, I was too tired to type it up.  At least I'll have a copy on the computer now.  This cake uses a few almonds and they really add something but you could leave them out and add a little bit of cinnamon and I'm sure this would be still be really tasty.  This recipe was given to me by a friend years and years ago and has stood the test of time.
Now, continuing the theme of apples.....

Apple Cake

8 oz SR flour
8 oz caster sugar (I use granulated)
5 oz melted marg (microwave)
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teasp almond essence
1 teasp baking powder

Round 9" x 2" cake tin, base lined and greased (I'm a big fan of loaf tins rather than round because they cook quicker and I can get two in the oven at the same time)

Put all the ingreds in a large bowl and mix well until smooth.
Spread half the mixture over the base of the tin.
Peel, core and thinly slice 12 oz apples (pref Bramley) over the mixture. 
Put rough spoonfuls of the remaining mixture on top. 
Sprinkle with some demerara sugar and flaked almonds.
Bake at 325'F/160'C/gas 3/fan oven 150'C for 45-50 mins until pale golden and shrinking from the sides of the tin.
Cool slightly before removing cake from tin.
Serve warm with ice cream or cream or Greek yoghurt (my favourite, yum!) or just eat a slice cold.
If there is any left, I'm told that it is probably best to store it in the fridge.  I don't know how well it freezes because I've never had enough left to try : ) as I usually make it when we have family or friends round.


Still on the subject of cake, this is a recipe that I got from http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ years ago and is now a standard in this house.  It is very quick and easy to make and is economical on the gas since you get two cakes and if the oven is already on for something else, that is even better.  My cooker is over 30 years old and if you fill the oven too full then the heat distribution is very uneven and some things don't cook properly.  So I have one thing prepared to pop in the oven as soon as the last thing is out.  This cake freezes well and we tend to freeze one and a half of them, cut in slices and two slices in a bag (600 bags for £1 from the £ shop) so that there is not too much tempting cake around to say "Eat me" when we have a cuppa.  This cake has been made with grated apple (and a bit of cinnamon or apple pie spice) instead of bananas and with chopped plums too.  It is great if you add a spoonful of coconut or sunflower seeds to the banana.  I've even added cranberries to the banana and given it as a Christmas present.  You could drizzle some melted chocolate on top if it is a cake for a special occasion.  I think that I'm saying that this cake is versatile : )

Banana Cake

Makes two loaves...

6oz soft butter or margarine

9oz caster sugar

3 eggs

4 mashed bananas (the riper the better)

12oz sr flour

1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder

3 tablespoons of milk



Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line tins with greaseproof paper.

Cream the margarine and sugar together, then add the eggs and mashed bananas.

Next add the flour, baking powder and milk and fold into the creamed mix.

Pour the mixture into the lined tins and bake in the centre of the oven for about 45 minutes or until they are a light brown colour.

Turn them out onto a baking rack, remove the greaseproof paper and leave to cool.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:44 AM, Blogger Gill - That British Woman said…

    sounds yummy, I need to pop some baked goods in the freezer for when people pop around. It just never seems to make it to the freezer when I bake, it all gets eaten!!

    Gill in Canada

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    sounds great - may use some of my neighbours windfalls to make one of these apple cakes!

    there is some good stuff on the Martin lewis site

     

Post a Comment

<< Home