smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Saturday, January 13, 2007

I'm back! It is two and a half months since I last blogged but I've been really busy. It has just been one of those spells when you prioritise in order to get through - and blogging just did not come high enough up the to-do list.

We had some fun on Thursday. In the storm, a section of the school roof lifted off.... We had to get an emergency roofing firm in to tie the roof down until it could be safely removed on Friday when the storm had died down. ~And we'll huff and we'll puff and we'll blow your house down! And we don't even live in an area which had severe weather warnings. I know lots of people here who had trees down in their gardens and loads of fences were blown down. The rest of the country must have suffered a lot.

I've had several people ask me for my spare eggs since Christmas. I could do with some more hens to keep all my customers supplied now. The bantams are not laying well except for Mrs Ratbag who lays about 4 a week on average. We're lucky to see 1 egg in a week from the other 4 bantams put together. We'll see how they do when spring has sprung. My farmer friend tells me that he knows what he would do with them and that he would have done it long since...

1 Comments:

  • At 2:36 AM, Blogger Melanie Rimmer said…

    It's great to see you blogging again. I'd give the banties until the days get longer. My hybrid layers went off the lay over winter, but they're already starting to pick up the pace again. I get an egg every other day or so now rather than the two a day like clockwork I got through spring and summer. But if they're not laying by say late March or early April I'd be planning a chicken casserole if I was you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home