smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Well, my dream house has been sold. I finally emailed the estate agent again after ten days to find out why they had not been in touch and I got the reply today. I suppose it is all for the best because the price was a little high. But I'm sad anyway.

My hens are laying well. The new little ones are laying between four and six every day. And we had three from the others yesterday - which means I had nine eggs. At this rate, I'm going to need to enlarge my customer base. I'll have to think hard about that. This week and last week, I've been able to give a few eggs to most of the people who so kindly give me bags of 'hen food' when they have it. In fact, a friend knocked the door this evening and handed me a bag of not-quite-so-fresh-anymore salad stuff which the hens will enjoy picking over tomorrow. I often come home from work and find a bag on the doorstep containing a bit of stale bread or some veg or fruit. My hens do get a proper diet of layers' pellets and mixed corn, I hasten to add, but that is their main course. The bits of fruit and veg are their 'pudding' and the part of their diet which provides variety and interest.

It is two and a bit weeks until the end of term. And I am very tired. I am going to spend the first week of the school holiday sleeping so that I have enough energy to do something useful in the rest of the holiday!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:47 AM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    Jo,sorry to hear about the house. Perhaps it's for the best, but it still hurts, I'm sure. I know how you must be looking forward to a little rest and relaxation after a busy school year. You deserve to put your feet up or do whatever you want for a while. Enjoy!

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    We've got to the point when we are counting down the days. One gets soooo tired by the end of the school year! You know how that feels, only too well. I know the US school terms/holidays system is a bit different than ours in the UK, but I'm sure you get just as tired!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home