smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Saturday, July 06, 2019

Recycling

I've been watching Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's series on the tv. I had recorded it to watch when I had time. I do try to think a bit green when I can but I must try harder. I repair, reuse and recycle as much as I can but I am not very good at reducing yet.

I have been talking to a friend for a while about the amount of plastic I use to wrap stuff at the church coffee shop. For example, if I bake a Victoria sponge, I wrap each piece in cling film and then pop it in a freezer bag to store in the freezer. The cake keeps much better if it is double wrapped like that. I am not sure what I could use in place of the double wrapping of plastic. If they are smaller packs of cake wrapped in cling film, sometimes I can get two packs in the one freezer bag, which at least cuts out the use of one freezer bag.

At home, I am always reusing plastic tubs wherever I can. And I have been known to wash out freezer bags and reuse those too. But there are a huge number of things that I buy that come in plastic bottles - things like shampoo, deodorant, toilet cleaner, disinfectant etc etc. The moisturiser that I find suits me always came in a glass tub but last time I went to buy one, they had gone over to a plastic tub. Today, though, I found one little win. I was in Lidl and one of their weekend specials is passata - in a glass bottle with a metal lid. 700mls of nice passata for 49p. So that is an easily recyclable glass jar instead of a tetra pack that passata usually comes in. Nice one, Lidl.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home