smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Decluttering

In 2015 I decided that I would lose 1000 things from the house. Well, I managed to part with just over 700 items. So I failed to reach my goal but there was a tiny bit more space in the house so I won as well because creating more space was my real aim. In 2016 I went for the same goal but failed miserable because I cleared just 365 items from the house. That is still one item per day but it falls far short of the 1000 I was hoping for. I had, of course parted with all the easily-partable-with things the previous year. This year I want to continue but I am going for a goal of 500 items. If I make it (and I am going to try really hard) then there will be 1500ish items gone from the house. Surely that will make a difference to the clutteredness in the house.

I am not good at parting with things, especially if there is any sentimental value at all but I must try harder. I know that when we are gone, my clutterfree daughters will get a big skip and everything will just go in it. I'd like to have a bit of a say in where things go.

My other aim last year was to write a post on average once a week so that I would have a diary record of happenings in my life for me to look back on. I managed 41 posts rather than 52 so I feel that I didn't fail as badly as at decluttering. It is my aim to post 50 times in 2017 too. I forget things so easily and it would be good to have a reminder. I remember the big things but it is the little details that don't stick - the ones that make me smile at the memory. Like parking in the church carpark earlier this week and hearing a little voice shouting " Ganny, Ganny". I hadn't realised that she would be at the church nursery school that day so it was a real treat seeing her at the nursery gates jumping up and down and waving and shouting to me. She is two and a half and not good at saying a 'gr' sound yet. I can't tell you how pleased I was to have such a welcome! And this is just the sort of thing that brings a smile but slips out of my memory so quickly.

I've taken a pile of carrier bags full of clothes to a charity last week so I'm pleased that I've got a total of items gone to put at the end of my post : )

38 items gone

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home