smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Bank holiday weekend

My but it has been a busy weekend. We have finished all that shredding.  Finally. But I am soooo tired now. We spent lots of Friday shredding, lots of Saturday shredding, Sunday afternoon after church and Monday morning. My job was to keep the shredding person supplied with stuff to shred. I've got four builder's bags full of shredding which will get put into the hens' run in the winter. That is a lot of shredding but it is so much less than those three enormous piles of brush and prunings. I am amazed how much it shrank when shredded.  It is a good job done, though.

Yesterday, after lunch, my husband and I and my son and his family all went out to our friend's farm for the afternoon along with about twenty other people from church. I took along a big bowl of twenty scones and a pot of gooseberry and redcurrant jam. I have to admit that I skived off the last morning of shredding to make the scones and really enjoyed my time in the kitchen.  It was a bit of light relief after all that bending and carrying.  Most other people who came to the farm had brought cake that they had bought but it was all the homemade things that went first. So many people do not seem to make their own any more.

My highlight of the afternoon was that I got to drive the tractor.  I had to drive it through a gateway and I did find that the big wide gateway seemed to grow alarmingly narrow as I approached it driving the tractor : ) That tractor is nothing like as easy as our car to drive. My grandchildren had a wonderful time and loved looking at the animals.

This afternoon I got to look after my youngest granddaughter for four hours. She is twenty months old now and very cute. (Biased grandmother alert!)  She hasn't really learned that word "no" yet. I tried to put a photo of her here but I'm having problems. The photo is saved in a word document on my computer. It was from a photo that wasn't very good and needed a lot of the background cropped to make it into a reasonable picture.  If anybody reading this can teach me how to insert that cropped photo then I'd be very grateful.

165 items gone

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger Mum said…

    Shredding is tough with all the bending and carrying. Well done you.
    xx

     
  • At 7:39 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    Thank you : )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home