smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Lots of things have been happening here.  We've been away on holiday.  Just five days because that was all we could have with animal sitters but we enjoyed them.  We went down to Devon to see my husband's family so we spent time up on Dartmoor.  I need my regular fix of hills and Dartmoor is wonderful.  There is always somewhere to go and park the car, go for a walk without meeting anybody and then come back to the car for a cuppa from the flask.

On the way down to Devon, we stopped off to visit an old schoolfriend of mine who has recently moved house and now lives in a beautiful bungalow with lovely sea views.  It was great to see her and her lovely new home.  We also popped across into Cornwall to visit a blogfriend that I haven't seen for a couple of years and had tea and cakes (homemade, of course) with her.  It was good to catch up on news.  She is a really nice lady and very kind to let us visit. And I do enjoy a natter with like-minded people.

After visiting this friend, we went to visit a favourite haunt from the days when my mother-in-law lived in Callington.  We had a picnic lunch up on the moor and then went for a walk in the sunshine.  I took a photo of my husband standing in the sunshine beside a tor.  Ten minutes later, the heavens opened and we had a monsoon.  We had cagoules in the backpack but there was not a dry thread anywhere not covered by the cagoules - literally.  When we got back to where we were staying, I had to empty the water out of my walking boots : )

Last week, we found a house with a field.  It is about 12 miles from where we live now so we could still see our family but too far for them to animal sit.  We have been to view it and have spent the last few days trying to work out if we could afford the house and do the repairs needed.  This house ticks more boxes than any we have seen before but there are a couple of big negatives. 

Decisions, decisions.  I'm not sleeping, have permanent indigestion and I'm not happy.  Anyone got £100k to spare that they don't want because then I could buy the house AND do the necessary repairs and still have enough money left to eat.

And really big thing - my new grandchild is due next week : )

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home